Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Storybook Favorites

Storybook Favorites

Storybook 1: Race for the Prize

Race for the Prize is a blog relating the world wars to Indian myths. While searching through storybooks, this storybook caught my eye as I am fascinated in history, and I am especially fascinated with wartime history as these times are some of the most influential times in history as they have sparked revolutions in governance, culture, and more. While the title of the storybook did not clearly depict the topic of the storybook, the introduction did a phenomenal job of describing what the storybook is about and intrigued me. I really enjoyed that the author did a good job of merging World War II and Indian mythology into one story in the introduction, and I hope to tie my story together with Indian mythology as well as this author did. The author had a nice, simple layout that helped lead the audience to the story instead of being distracted by images, which I also enjoyed. However, as the story progresses through other pages, I do wish the author had included more images to aid the stories. I did like that the author did a good job of establishing a setting for each story, and will attempt to do the same when I make my storybook.

Nuclear weapons testing from WWII showing the power of weapons.
Image taken from Wikipedia


Storybook 2: Environment in Indian Epics

Environment in Indian Epics is a blog relating environmental instability of modern days to the environmental instability in Indian mythology. This storybook caught my eye as I am a civil engineering student, and civil engineers are repeatedly told about water crises throughout the world which are directly caused by human consumption. The title captures the attention of anyone who is interested in the environment, and the introduction garners more interest in the storybook. Once again, the author brilliantly paralleled modern-day phenomena with stories from Indian mythology, and I like that the ideas they are paralleling are not as fictitious as they are factual. However, I am not a fan of the center-aligned text in the introduction as it makes it harder to read through the text quickly. I will left-align all stories in my storybook. I also like how easily navigable this storybook is, and would like a page at the beginning to choose the story as well as a header that constantly allows for switching stories.

Storybook 3: Lord Rama: The Greatest OU Football Player

This storybook details the adventures of characters from Indian mythology as football players for the OU football team, and this story caught my eye because I am a huge fan of OU football and wouldn't miss a game for anything. This was actually the first story to catch my eye because I was not aware that there'd be so much freedom with these storybooks. However, the title on the actual storybook page was not great as it does not show anything more than "Lord Rama". The introduction wasn't quite as attention-grabbing as other videos. While reading the story, I wish the images were between paragraphs instead of at the end of the pages. However, I do like the simplicity of the page.


No comments:

Post a Comment