Saturday, August 31, 2019

Feedback Thoughts

"Seven Ways to Crush Your Self Doubt" by John Spencer


To summarize the points illustrated by this article, the seven ways to eliminate self-doubt are: you don't have to be perfect, maintain a growth mindset, and don't compare yourself to others. The article raises some very good points. I agree that one shouldn't compare themselves to someone. Everyone has a different set of skills and circumstances in life, and there are too many variables in life to be the same as another person. I also agreed with the growth mindset advice. Viewing "failures" as learning experiences and actually learning from these experiences would help you learn to quit doubting yourself. However, I didn't agree with some of the points made by the article. I think all people should strive to be perfect, and, related, set very lofty goals. While this can cause you to doubt yourself, if you combine perfectionism with the growth mindset you will grow very rapidly. You have to train your brain to not doubt yourself despite not being perfect yet strive to be perfect. However, I understand that when doing more creative projects one should not strive for perfection as there is no true perfection when being creative/artistic.

"Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback" by Tim Herrera


The article was written using information from a TED talk named "WorkLife With Adam Grant". The article basically states that people sometimes receive negative feedback poorly because they take negative feedback as a reflection on themselves instead of as a reflection on their work. However, the article suggests that if you can learn to view the negative feedback as advice and teach yourself that you're judged for the improvement attempt as well as the mistake. Training your brain to read the situation this way causes you to try harder to improve.

My Thoughts

As a student, I've used feedback to grow. Even bad grades are a form of feedback, though they may be a little harsh. However, I managed to not succumb to self-doubt and was able to grow through these experiences. The most productive feedback I have ever gotten has been poor quiz grades. Quiz grades don't greatly impact your overall grades. After failing a quiz, I know what I need to improve upon. However, I have also had useless feedback - mainly in English classes here at OU. In English classes, it seems that you lose points but are not told why. Therefore, you cannot attempt to improve yourself because you have no useful feedback.

I chose this image because I like the quote. Those who are scared to fail and learn
can't grow. Image from Professor Gibbs's "Padlet" page on Canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment