Thursday, August 22, 2019

Growth Mindset

Growth Mindset

Before this lesson, I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset. However, I unknowingly grew up practicing many of the things Carol Dweck has taught. In wrestling, I was taught that a blow-out win is the worst thing that can happen to you during the regular season because the blow-out win doesn't prepare you for the postseason. However, losses were nothing to be ashamed of. They were learning experiences, chances for growth. And these experiences were personally valued much more than blow-out victories, though the blow-out victories were more fun. With the mindset that a loss wasn't a failure, but a learning chance, I was able to progress more. 

While the growth mindset aided me in wrestling throughout my career, I also have been using it in college. Currently, going into my senior year, I have a 4.0 GPA and, though I am happy I've been able to sustain it, don't believe that one should graduate with a 4.0 in college. That just means I wasn't challenging myself enough. That's why I've been enrolling in graduate-level courses as an undergrad - I want to see if I can sustain a 4.0 even through the most difficult of challenges. This semester I'm enrolled in Dynamics of Structures, which is regarded by many as the hardest class in civil engineering at OU. I hope to apply the growth mindset to this semester so that I can continue to grow. I also know nothing about Indian Epics, and I will carry the growth mindset through this class to learn as much as I can learn.

I believe that growth mindset is very invaluable, and was interested to see that it is something that is actually being researched. However, I do think that kids should also be told to strive for As in classes, but really emphasize that they are not important. De-incentivizing As may lead some kids to try less. However, as I am not a teacher, I do not know how I would achieve this balance of striving for excellence and maintaining the growth mindset.

Meme created by Professor Laura Gibbs. Chosen because most
people don't consider failure as a path to success.


No comments:

Post a Comment