Thursday, September 5, 2019

Wikipedia Trails: From Ramayana to Mankameshwar Temple

Ramayana

I started with the Ramayana as I was interested in the historical accuracies of the book and wanted to see what Wikipedia had to say. Furthermore, I was interested in the potential writing topic discovered on the Wikipedia Page.

Ayodhya

I went to the Ayodhya page as I remembered reading about Ayodhya in this week's readings and wanted to learn more about the history of the city. I was also interested to see what the city looked like.

Temple in Ayodhya. I was amazed to learn that Ayodha has more temples
than one could count. Image from Wikimedia

Hanumangarhi

This page caught my eye because the structure was described as a massive fort surrounded by walls and it intrigued the civil engineer in me. I always find it amazing that civilizations were able to construct such large, sturdy structures that still stand today without heavy machinery and computers.


Mankameshwar Temple

Once again, I got curious about historical Indian engineering and architecture and found this article. The Mankameshwar Temple was dedicated to Shiva and contains several smaller temples dedicated to other Indian mythology characters such as Rama, Hanuman, and Krishna.

No comments:

Post a Comment