Sunday, September 22, 2019

Famous Last Words: A Very Busy Week

This week was extremely hectic. Between having multiple assignments due, deadlines for submitting PMAP (Project Management Advisory Panel) documents for Concrete Canoe, a budget interview with the Gallogly College of Engineering, concrete research for Concrete Canoe, and grading homework (I am a TA in a Structural Analysis class), I was unable to balance everything I needed to finish this past week unfortunately.

However, I really enjoyed the readings in Indian Epics this week. I read two comics - "Kubera: The Lord of Wealth" and "Heroes of Hampi: The Mythology of Kishkindha". The Kubera comic is going to help me a ton with my storybook as I am focusing on Lanka and Vishvakarma in my storybook. The Heroes of Hampi comic was very interesting and I ended up learning a lot about geography in India, and actually learned a little to help with my storybook in the Hampi comic as well.

My best writing in the past week was definitely an appeal with PMAP for revising a rule that they have instituted that hinders research, and I am excited to get to meet with PMAP tomorrow to further discuss this rule. They have been understanding and willing to work with engineering competition teams and I think they'll do what's best for the teams. However, this writing was not creative, and I am finding that I struggle to switch between technical writing and creative writing.

I read a story in this class this week that told a story using a diary to convey emotions. I had not considered writing a diary entry in the past, but the story was great and I am now considering writing a diary entry story in the future.

Unfortunately, I did not make it to writing a Week 5 story for this week. I got to it late Thursday night, and I was not able to think of a story in time. However, I'm not overly worried because I completed the readings and an extra credit assignment, so I should be fine. I am appreciative of the flexibility and extra credit in this class - it allows me to maximize my learning on my busy schedule.

Last year's concrete canoe - image taken by me

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marshall, how is Concrete Canoe? I know it is the civil engineering project team but I'm not too familiar with any specifics! I know the Sooner off-road team is attempting to finish up all their stuff as well! I may have to take a look at those comics because Lanka plays a main role in my storybook as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold up, hold up. A canoe made out of concrete? Concrete? Not to sound incredibly dumb or anything, but will that thing actually float? It looks like a beast that is heavier than lead, which is impressive I must say.

    I know those weeks where you just don't get everything done that you wanted to. That seems to happen to me a lot lately. Working full time and going to school is a challenge. Your plate sounds unbelievably full, so my hat is off to you for getting as much done as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marshall,

    I totally understand what you mean about having busy weeks. There were multiple week I never made it to doing my reading or writing a story. Three weeks ago I literally just decided to skip a full week. It was not a good idea because now I am frantically typing to try and get all of those points back. I hope everything is still working out for you.

    ReplyDelete