Sunday, September 8, 2019

Topic Research: Vishvakarma

General Notes:

After my previous project brainstorming post, Professor Gibbs gave me some story recommendations for Vishvakarma and also recommended that I tell the story from Vishvakarma's point of view. I really, really liked the idea of telling the stories from Vishvakarma's point of view as that gives me a lot more freedom in which stories I can tell and how to tell the story. I've compiled some story ideas, but I may change my mind if I learn of other interesting stories I want to retell. I have included four potential stories to tell as I wanted more freedom to decide when I get start writing my stories.

Story 1: Rama Builds a Bridge to Lanka

According to this story from the Ramayana, Rama gathers an army of vanara, intelligent monkeys, to help construct a bridge from India to Lanka to get Sita back from Ravana. The lead architect of the bridge is named Nala, a vanara who happens to be Vishvakarma's son. The bridge discussed in this story of the Ramayana exists today, though it is covered by approximately 3 feet of water. The bridge was constructed out of stones.

When I tell this story, I may talk about how Vishvakarma gave guidance to Nala to build the bridge. I can use some simple engineering knowledge discussed from Vishvakarma's point of view to make it seem like Vishvakarma really designed the bridge.
The vanaras build a bridge to Lanka with Nala and Nila shown as blue and white monkeys
talking with Lakshmana and Rama. From Wikimedia

Sources:
Nala from Wikipedia
Adam's Bridge from Wikipedia

Story 2: Vishvakarma's Chariot Shop

Vishvakarma was credited with designing many different chariots or palaces that flew through the skies including the Pushpaka, Indra's chariot, and 

This story has the potential to be expanded into multiple stories told about battles/other events that took place using Vishvakarma's chariots that he helped construct. However, I struggled to find complete stories for each of the different chariots. If I can find complete stories that mention the chariots, I can use Vishvakarma as a storyteller for three stories in which Vishvakarma describes his chariot he made then discuss stories from Vishvakarma's point of view. I think that this story has potential to expand, assuming I can locate stories from the Ramayan a

Sources:
Vimana from Wikipedia 
Indra from Wikipedia - This source briefly discusses Indra's chariot

Story 3: Vishvakarma's Celestial Weapons

Vishvakarma was also accredited with the creation of some of the astras used in the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. Some astras I have found to be specifically accredited to Vishvakarma include astras used by Shiva and Vishnu. 

My original intent was to discuss some of the weapons Vishvakarma created, thereby introducing many gods/goddesses. I could also focus down on one astra and its adventures through stories as told from Vishvakarma's point of view. One potential complication is that different Indian mythology sources accredit the creation of astras to different deities.

Sources:
Astra from Wikipedia
Sudarshana Chakra from Wikipedia

Story 4: The Story of Lanka

Lanka was the city which has ties to Shiva, Kubera, Ravana, and the battle between Ravana and Rama. Vishvakarma was said to have made the palace in the city of gold. The palace was so beautiful that it ended up creating drama when the palace would trade hands between owners throughout Indian mythology.

This story is very related to the Pushpaka story and serves as a complete story if I decide to go more in-depth on each chariot and the surrounding stories. I would talk about Vishvakarma's many creations in Lanka throughout the Ramayana.

Golden palace in Lanka from Wikipedia

Sources:
Lanka from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment